Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What is IIH...

Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) is a neurological condition of the brain. It is also more commonly known as Pseudotumor Cerebri which means false brain tumor. The brains perceives incorrectly that there is a problem within your brain producing cerebral spinal fluid (csf) to protect itself. Eventually the brain produces too much csf and it begins to compress the brain causing severe headaches, papillodema of the eyes which could lead to blindness if left untreated and a host of other symptoms. I have started a running list of my symptoms which I will include here:

Numbness and tingling on right side of head
Pulsing tinnitus in both ears, really loud in the right ear
Pressure behind the eyes
Black spots in both eyes, sometimes resemble oil slicks
Pulsing headaches in the back of my head. Worse when lying down.
Sometimes awoken in the middle of the night due to head pain.
Left knee pain that comes and goes
Left wrist pain that comes and goes
Lower left back pain
Pulsing pain up and down spinal column
Nausea
Dizziness
Fatigue
Light Sensitivity
High pitch noise sensitivity

 Okay I know that's a lot but it's what I deal with on a daily basis and it absolutely sucks.  The Intracranial Hypertension Research Foundation (IHRF) is an excellent resource if you are trying to lean more about IIH. IHRF is the only foundation in the world dedicated to finding a cure for this illness. I highly encourage everyone to support this organization. Also feel free to tell me about your symptoms or ask me any questions you want related to IIH.

No comments:

Post a Comment