Wednesday, October 6, 2010

If shunting is in your future ask these questions...

Recently I was told that it's time to consult with a Neurosurgeon about putting a shunt in my brain to relieve the extra fluid. Even though I know this is probably my best option at the moment I am still having a hard time with the fact that having this illness could mean brain surgery. I put together a list of questions for my doctors. I'm sure they won't all get answered and if your reading this and your getting a shunt soon pick the ones that are most important to you and have your doctor answer those for you. Also if you have any questions to add feel free to do so.


Questions for the Neuro. Surgeon:

1. What is the estimated life span for either a VP or LP shunt?
2. How do you determine what shunt procedure is best for me?
3. What are the distinct differences between VP and LP shunt?
4. Would I qualify for a VP shunt due certain medical specifications?
5. Will I be receiving a either programmable (adjustable) shunt?  If not an adjustable shunt why?
6. What will happen to a programmable shunt if I need to travel for vacations etc?
7. Are they easily affected by airport scanners?
8. What are the chances for a shunt malfunction?
9. How long will my case be followed after I receive the surgery? How will I physically know if the shunt is malfunctioning?
10. Can the VP or LP shunt be removed at anytime for any reason after it has been placed into the body?
11. After placement what is the estimated recovery time?
12. How long will I have to be in the hospital?
13. Will it relieve my headaches?
14.  How quickly will my papillodema go away?
15. How long after can I resume normal activity? Will I be able to drive?
16. How many shunt procedures have you performed?
17. What are the tests performed in the hospital to determine if the shunt is malfunctioning?
18. What are the chances of over draining with either shunt?
19. What are the risks involved with having  shunt installed.
20. Will I be able to apply for temporary disability during my recovery phase of the operation?
21. How long is the surgery to install the shunt?

No comments:

Post a Comment